Many of the high rise buildings, offices, hospitals, hotels, auditoriums, and other facilities globally are partially or fully shut due to the ongoing pandemic and facilities management has challenges in ensuring the uptime through preventive maintenance and repairs, as the lockdown rules are relaxed. Here is a solution that will help in remotely monitoring industrial lifts, commercial elevators, and cranes used in factories.
Anomaly detection (or outlier detection) is the identification of rare items, events, or observations that raise suspicions by differing significantly from the majority of the data captured using noninvasive sensors attached to industrial equipment.
AI based solution for industrial elevator monitoring
- The device enhances proactive maintenance through just in time responses to machine faults and process deterioration.
- With the use of remote access to the elevator operational condition, it benefits not only efficient manpower but also helps in decision making.
- IoT configured device reduces the downtime of the elevator system, avoiding delayed breakdown notifications
- Mainly two parameters employ for remote condition monitoring – vibration and room temperature.
- Suitable sensors are interfaced with network enabled microcontrollers installed in the elevator system that can be utilized to monitor remotely if any deterioration in its working condition.
- The microcontroller works as the control unit, carrying out some logical reasoning and arithmetic on the read sensor data for preventive maintenance decision-making.
- The intelligent ability of the microcontroller to carry out the logical operation of the read values against a predetermined severity condition level of the system while using its IoT capability in sending the data and notifications in the event of an abnormality in the system.
- Unlike reactive maintenance, where actions are taken whenever a system failure occurs, on-condition monitoring maintenance checks the condition of the system against the limit threshold, which is the severity limit of each condition of the machine.
- The limits are determined by the elevator manufacturer or through machine data learning algorithms.
- According to the manufacturer’s data from vendors such as Schindler and Otis, the study states that the vibration of the elevator car should be ±5mg to its mean vibration; therefore, the condition of the system based on vibration is diagnosed for anomaly detection.