IOT and return on investment
Let’s face the facts – IOT is still in its nascent stages and businesses are unsure about the benefits of asset intelligence and how to go about acquiring and implementing these industrial monitoring technologies. The IoT hype is over but the trough of disillusionment typically precedes mainstream adoption.
Benefits of our retrofit IOT solutions
- Contribute towards sustainability
- Monitoring lights, idle machines
- Reduce energy consumption through proactive steps
- Detect ground leakages, current consumption
- Reduce the cost of preventive maintenance
- Industry 4.0, Unplanned downtimes, labour, availability
- Enables shop floor data visualisation for immediate actionable items
- Easy to deploy solutions with machine data
- Bring measurement factors into equipment usage patterns
- Plan actionable insights based on usage
- Understand operating environment and behaviour of equipment
- Vibration, tilt, over heating
- Improve productivity & safety through environment monitoring
- Dust levels, Volatile organic compounds
- Reduction in manual inspection steps
- Single point monitoring for legacy machines
- Adherence to proper process workflow
- Asset tracing for compliance
The ultimate goal is to transform and digitize the operations of these legacy assets and connect it all on a single common platform. The data can also be pushed to a cloud solution and can be visualized through on-premise dashboards and other instances.
Customers have by now generally accepted IOT as a main driver of digital transformation. However, in 2018, they will be looking for business value of IOT and outcomes in every project. There is no doubt that all newly released products and installed assets will be connected with an increasing amount of industrial monitoring sensors and intelligence embedded.
IOT for Connected Legacy Machines
As part of building our Industrial IOT solution, we are in touch with lot of plant managers and factory supervisors, and we found an interesting similarity among them. Most of them feel that though legacy machinery gives them maintenance nightmares, they find it really tough to do without it. These age old, well calibrated machines still gives the best output and most of the managers wish whether they could proactively monitor and trace the maintenance related issues and thereby reduce equipment downtime.
It is important to connect these legacy plant and machinery to bring asset intelligence in the factory to have a complete control over operations and performance. Any operational disruption affects overall productivity and even can affect quality of the product. But there are definitely quite a few challenges to make these machines online.
As it stands most such manufacturing equipment units are made only for local communication and not with third party systems. Remote monitoring such machines and equipment becomes extremely tough and all of the assigned personnel would have to go physically and inspect these assets.
We had recently dealt with a client who wanted to track vibration and excess heating from their legacy machines. These machines did not have any option to push the data itself to a PLC and they wanted a wireless solution to track the important parameters in production shop floor and get the data into one of their data centers.
They wanted us to provide a scalable and flexible system and should be an end to end platform that ranges from data acquisition, integration and visualization. The data collected from the retrofit wireless sensors can minimize unplanned downtime, discover process deficiencies and, can perform proactive maintenance of a particular asset.
Does maintenance of legacy machines constantly bother you? Do you want to gather more deep insights into working of these machines? Do you find trouble in remotely monitor such machines?
Do reach to us, we can help you add intelligence to your legacy equipment.